Dr. A.J. Chandler (The founder of the city)
In 1891, Dr. Alexander John Chandler, the principal veterinary specialist for the domain of Arizona, purchased 80 sections of land from the national government in the Salt River Valley south of Mesa. Dr. Chandler reviewed the generally new exploration of water system designing and was instrumental in building an early arrangement of trenches in what was then a bone-dry desert.
By the turn of the century, Dr. Chandler possessed 18,000 acre of land farm. The sanction of the Salt Waterway Extend gave that every landowner could acquire enough water to flood just 160 acre of land. Dr. Chandler looked for the assistance of organizers and draftsmen in subdividing his farm and drawing up a town site delineate. He then publicized broadly the offer of Chandler Farm sites.
Dr. Chandler opened the town site office on May 17, 1912. Arizona Eastern Railroad brought 300 people. They spent $50,000 to buy land in the town site.
At that time the town was made of just three wooden cabins. The town site office, the Morrison Grocery and a dining hall. After one year Chandler was looking forward to make a settled and established town.
On November 22, 1913, inauguration of the Hotel San Marcos took place in the town. Governor George P. Hunt and Vice President Thomas Marshall were present in the ceremony. Every winter due to the wealthy visitors coming from all over the country the hotel business was flourished.
The biggest business in Chandler at the time was agriculture. Farmers of Chandler raised ostriches which were used in manufacturing of popular women’s fashion dresses. The economy of the city was getting better day by day. During World war-I demand of staple cotton was very high. Cotton was in abundant in Chandler lands that time. 8000 acres land was leased by the Goodyear Tire Company from Chandler. This company built the town of Goodyear in Chandler city.
The population of Chandler became 1000 by 1920. Automobiles were being used as source of transportation. Therefore new paved roads were built. The sewage systems and the water system were then improved.
The first charter of town was drafted by Arthur Price. Dr. Chandler served as the first mayor in 1920. The U.S. Army Air Corps constructed a fighter pilot training base east of Chandler in 1941.
Dr. Chandler passed away in 1950. At that time population of Chandler was significantly raised. It was about thirty eight hundred. The status of the town was upgraded to City on May 24, 1954. Today population of Chandler City has reached more than 240,000. The Chandler City is contributing in Countries economy through its good manufacturing and electronics sectors.
Comments are closed.