In 1920, Dr. Chandler was setting up camp for what he imagined as his desert spring (Chandler now). Region Constables were responsible to keep the peace. Chandler’s town was sanctioned alongside the state on February 14, 1912. In November of 1914, Charles M. Beckham was chosen as one of the main Constables for the region. The Constable was an officer of the Area Court, fundamentally the same as the Region Constables of today.
After 10 years in 1924, Charles Beckham was removed over a charge of helping prisons in escaping the Florence Prison.
Dr .A.J. Chandler the first Mayor of Chandler signed a Chandler Town Ordinance Title VII about Police Court and General Penal Provisions. This ordinance ensured that Marshal of the Town of Chandler, to be an ex-officio Chief of Police appointed by police court of the Town of Chandler. The police court was monitored by a Police Justice. The first marshal of the town was Charles Malone. At start Marshal was a one-man “Police Force.” Later on a second Person was added in the police force to ensure the security of the town during day time and night time also.
On May 7, 1941, Roy Wolf was employed as Marshal/Boss. In 1948, daily paper articles were alluding to the now four-man group of gatekeepers as the “Police Force.” They got their first garbs, comprising of a light blue shirt, naval force blue jeans, and a dull blue eight-point cap. There were no arm patches for the initial couple of years, and the guardians needed to buy the outfits themselves, alongside their firearm belts and weapons.
In 1951 Robert L. Womack an experienced official with strong enforcement background got appointed as Chief of Police. Under his supervision the efficiency of police was remarkably increased. After Robert Womack resignation the City Council Standing police committee took charge of the police force.
In 1953, Ivan S. Williams a District Commander for the U.S. Border Patrol was appointed as Chief of police. Three years later he resigned due to his health condition and an upcoming surgery. This process continued up to 1970. In 1970 the Fire Departments and police force were amalgamated as one department and named it as “Chandler Department of Public Safety”. After few years the “Chandler Department of Public Safety” was again separated to their default configuration.
Mr. Ronald J. Oberholtzer became chief of police in 1979. He took steps to improve the status of police department. He hired new staff, purchased full size delivery van and purchased all necessary equipment required for any crime scene. Surprisingly on April 30, 1980, Chief Oberholtzer resigned from the post. He went for his own business after resignation. Ronald J. Danielson took charge after Oberholtzer resignation. He serves for 144 years as police chief. During his regime the number of police force increased up to over two hundred from fifty. He installed the 911 service and started a police Explorer Program. He upgraded communication system and remodeled the police departments building several times. On September 10, 1993 Chief Danielson retired.
Chandler Police Department status changed forever in 1999. It became a metropolitan police agency. They got latest technologies to overcome the crime rate. Now the department is serving people of Chandler Arizona and has major hand in providing a peaceful environment to the residents.